Thursday, July 4, 2013

Independence Days

Happy 4th my dears! This post is a little different. For the last 24 hours I've been listening to the underrated Kelly Rowland's introspective new album "Talk a Good Game" and you can definitely tell that she's feeling a lot more independent these days. And it led me to thinking about my own independence. A little more than a year ago I walked (sprinted, ran, was dragged, was pushed) away from a relationship in which I felt very restricted. We both did. Walking on eggshells, watching our words, indulging in destructive behaviors... very unhealthy in the end. It didn't help that I was in the middle of my second year of teaching unpredictably difficult 7th and 8th graders. (Let's just say a student threatened to set the school on fire and start with my classroom. He was promptly expelled.) Needless to say, once all the dust settled and we each had spaces of our own, both of our worlds saw the sun again. And my 2012 Independence Day felt more personal than ever before.

I had my own place. I had my friends. I had my family. I had my Munki (for five days at that time). And I had this sense that I was the person I always wanted to be. And then I wanted more. I wanted to be more. See more. Accomplish more. Feel more. Think more. Connect more. My spirit exploded like fireworks. And even though, like a sparkler that's just been lit, there are times when my shine starts out as an ember, and has moments of dying down, I burst and dance and my furious fire burns through all the way to the end, having brought smiles and excitement to anyone willing to experience me. And vice versa. I have amazing people in my life. I have a crazy, amazing little lady love with four legs and immeasurable heart. I have a mom who makes everyone realize just how important, hard, and undervalued the responsibility of being a homemaker is (you try taking care of a house, bills, familial obligations, 2 kids - both with ADD and one with autism, and a small side business of tailoring/sewing/crafting). I have a great place to live with a great person to live with (shout out to Erin AKA Karisma).

So cheers to Independence Day. And cheers to a country that (mostly) allows us all to have independence! 

Feel free to share below what makes you feel independent! Celebrate yourself!

A Few Moments from the Last 365 Days of Independence

Munki, one year later (and 35 pounds bigger!)

At my cousin Zoe's graduation

A happy, fulfilled, and optimistic ME!

From my students on the last day of school. So sweet to say.

One of my favorite people: Thom!


With my ATG Mama Jenny and my soror/friend/roomie Erin before the Dalai Lama came out!

Dalai Lama at my alma mater University of MD, College Park; SO INSPIRING!

Celebrating 10 years of Alpha Theta Gamma Multicultural Sorority, Inc. with a few of my sisters!

Munki Love

My fave: Lupe Fiasco at The Fillmore with Erin!

Feel the love: Happy Valentine's Day from some of my students :-)

Working on my novel... hopefully will be done in 2014 :-)

With my lovely co-worker/friend Anna (who'd just revealed she was pregnant!)

With my Mama on Thanksgiving!

The incomparable Joseph Gordon-Levitt! (insert infatuated-teenager-style marriage proposal)

More Munki Love

Two of my lifelines: Vernice and Jasmine

The original school crew: Georgia, me, Lien, and Thom

My amazing brother Justin, who inspires me because even with autism he is now a working man at NIH!
You can overcome limitations and labels with perseverance, strength, patience, and support! I Love You!

My brother Chico's art at a Georgetown gallery

My brother-from-another-mother Chico 

My first quince with my former student Jessica

Munki's first 4th of July!

Right after ending a challenging year of teaching

Day of adoption: Munki HarleyQuinn Morgendorfer

Celebrating my friend Kara's 40th Birthday!

Full body shot of me and Kara (we looked fantastic, right?!?!)

Close-up of the DC Divas ;-)
My first purchase after six months of not shopping: a $10.50 pair of Banana Republic trousers (originally $89.50 - woot!)

With my cousin LT

My forever fave: Incubus (shirtless Brandon Boyd in the center) at the DC101 Chili Cookoff

With one of my favorite people EVER: Stephanie

Thanks kids! Now off to a new school to have an impact on the youth of my hometown: DC!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment