Monday, June 17, 2013

...in Paris

Style2



















As someone without a passport, I spend lots of my time contemplating where I'll go first once the time and money align. Admittedly, I never had the sort of love affair with Paris that most girls have, particularly those with a similar affection for fashion. I prefer the allure of the whitewashed shores and hillside homes of Mykonos, Greece. Or navigating the crowds of a Chinese fish market. Possibly trading heels for flats for Rome, Milan, and Venice during a visit to Italy.

The main draw to France for me would be the architecture. And I will walk the Louvre before I'm too senile to fly.

Aside from that though, the women of France, specifically Paris (but of course!), are so effortlessly pulled together that people-watching is of Olympic level. I'd be awarded with gold assuredly thanks to my constant perusal of blogs and books that focus on the chic and offbeat of the French. My favorite designer Alexander McQueen always invoked the flair of France in his lines' designs following a five-year stint at Givenchy.

I recently read somewhere that French women tend to have style that relies on curated closets devoid of trends and plump with personality. They look at their closets and see a dress they wore earlier in the week and think how great it looked then and how great it would look today. Americans don't even want to be tagged on Facebook wearing the same tee if it's worn on separate occasions. As I surveyed my own wardrobe, it just felt... CLUTTERED. Even with a walk-in I still have enough clothes to almost fill three dressers. Taking inspiration from those European muses, I used a critical eye and purged seven grocery bags of clothes and shoes, ready for donation to my colleague's daughters. Soon, I'll explain how I did just that, but for now, know that you have lots of sartorial repetition to look forward to on this blog :-) I'd encourage the same for you. It's not just frugal -- it's French! Which is an acceptable excuse for just about anything.

Have fun!

~Kristen


Check out some of my favorite French reads below:

http://www.leblogdebetty.com/en/ - French Fashion Blog where writer Betty consistently infuses charm into her ensembles. Her street shots are typically my favorites.

http://makingmagique.com/category/style/ - French Fashion Blog with tons of photography images from around Europe. Love the mix of rocker, street, and girly style. The blogger is a professional photographer, hence the cool layout, dynamic images, and clever pairings.

http://www.etpourquoipascoline.fr/ - from her hair to her smirk to her name, everything about this blogger is unique and poetic. Even her name - Coline - rolls on the tongue like a full-bodied red wine. I love how her photographs of the most seemingly banal items -- a shower rack, miniature bottles cuddled in the corner of her tub - are suitable for mounting boards and heavy ebony or cherrywood frames.

No comments:

Post a Comment