Saturday, February 2, 2013

Fitting Room Options, Tips, and Fashion Fast


So, it's been a month since I've started my Fashion Fast, which basically just involves me being more contemplative about the shopping choices I make. Thirty-two days of no shopping has left me feeling a lot more selective of new additions to my wardrobe. It has also left me feeling more protective of how much, where, and how often I spend hard-earned money, specifically when it comes to clothes and shoes. Luckily, I had some store credit and Christmas gift cards, so my out-of-pocket expenses for my first shopping adventure of 2013 were low.

First things first: What I wear to go shopping.


I do pretty much always wear flats when I go shopping. I also wear a dress so that it's easy-on/easy-off.



Under the dress I wear leggings (or, in this case, sweater tights) and a neutral cami for layering potential pieces.



First stop: Old Navy.


The Keepers:



"The Diva" Bootcut Skinny Corduroy Jeans in Dark Pink size 0 (in-store sale for $7.49)

What I liked most about these jeans is that they're just a LITTLE too tight. Because the fabric tends to stretch out slightly from wash and wear, it's good to have a little "room to grow" in bottoms like this.



 

"Perfect" Tee in Pink Stripe size S (in-store sale for $4.99)

I always try things on at Old Navy, even if it's the same tee but in different styles. For example, there were only smalls of this shirt on the left and it fits really well. But in the V-neck version, I had to size down to an XS because the S was too loose. Though I really liked the look of the white V-neck, I didn't get it because my mom claims that I have enough white tees already! Even at $3.99, I had to submit to her voice inside my head. (I merely put the white tee up for comparison.)




White/Navy Stripe Boatneck Tee in XS (in-store sale for $6.00)

I have been craving this nautical/Parisian/classic style top for over a year now. I really wanted to get a duplicate, but with red stripes. Alas, a poppy orange was the closest clone.




Lightweight Graphic Sweater XS in New Camel Brown (for purchase here)

This is by far my favorite purchase from the store. I have been obsessed with J. Crew's heart graphic Tippi sweater (seen on Wendy from Wendy's Lookbook). I love the camel brown color and the subtle burst of pink in the heart. And it's long enough that I can wear thick leggings on relaxed day. J. Crew's was originally priced at $88.00. This gem is $24.94 and will probably go on sale closer to Valentine's Day, but I figured it'll get snatched up quickly so I paid full price.



The Goodbyes


Dolman Top in XS (in-store sale for $17.00); Diva Jeans in size 2 (in-store clearance for $8.99)


Both of these items were ill-fitting, especially when paired together. The top wasn't too bad, but the stripes made me appear wider than I am. I wish the jeans fit because the wash was great. But clearly the rear was loose and sit awkwardly on my lower half. 


V-Neck Softest Sweater in XS for $29.94 (you can purchase in several colors here)


I liked this sweater but I couldn't justify the price tag. I also like that it can be belted and it's not so close to my skin color that I get washed out. It's lightweight and about 1 inch higher in the front than in the back, which evens out once the sweater reaches my backside. 



Save for Later







I think this dress is SO sweet! As a petite woman with a young face, it can be tricky to pull off whimsical prints. This one doesn't fit perfectly, admittedly, but it's close enough that with a belt or a small alteration, it will be worth purchasing when it's on sale. Even though the dress is not terribly expensive, I'm confident the print will make this dress go on sale for Valentine's Day. So I'll just wait a couple of weeks and hope that I'm right!



Second stop: TJ Maxx.

The Keepers:











 Cynthia Rowley Colorblock Dress in XS for $29.99
Sheer Black with Beige Crosses Blouse in XS for $14.99


This colorblock dress is my favorite purchase overall. It gives me curves from the front, which is ideal since all of my curvature is from the side. The dress is a little wide in the hips and low on the waistline, but nothing a quick alteration couldn't fix. It's stretchy and loose enough fit a thin blouse underneath it, which I also bought.



Save for Later






Fun & Flirt Dress in XS for $19.99
This dress is KILLER! I think it is SO sexy but just conservative enough. The bust line panels conceal enough of my chest that I feel comfortable not using double stick tape to lock the girls into place. And the mesh back is black so it feels less scandalous and more seductive. The peplum downplays the attention brought to my rear by the bodycon-style fabric, and the length of the hem keeps it from looking like I belong on a street corner or a pole. 





 Tahari A-line Dress in Aqua for $59.99 in size 2 (originally sold for $238.00 retail)



I have been searching for a dress like this since I first saw it on Jean last year. This dress is supposed to fit like a sheath, but given my straight and narrow figure, it fits more like an A-line dress. As this is a simple alteration (up the hemline, take in the sides sheath-style), I'll be back to pick it up once I've coordinated with my mom (AKA: the best tailor/seamstress/designer I have the fortune of knowing) that the process won't take more than an afternoon of her valuable time.



Whew! Sorry for such a long post, but I LOVED taking the time to reasonably think through my purchases and weigh the pros and cons. Given that I mostly used gift cards to purchase my items today, my out-of-pocket expense was about $35 ($10.50 at Old Navy and $25 at TJ Maxx). I was able to get 8 pieces total (two of which were not photographed from Old Navy). I'm stoked for my next finds, but am eager to coordinate these newest items with my closet staples.





As always, THANK YOU FOR READING!!









Extra Pics












1 comment:

  1. Nicely outlined :) It's always amazing how different things look on the hanger compared to on you or me!

    ReplyDelete