Sunday, December 30, 2012

Fashion Fast 2013

I'm not a shopaholic. I'm not a hoarder. I'm not addicted to shopping.

But I do have a clothing habit! And no, I'm not trying to be euphemistic and prettify any problem I may have. After watching "My Shopping Addiction" and reading numerous articles and psychology texts, I can safely say that "addiction" would be a stretch.

But for some people, shopping, whether it's for clothes, shoes, beauty products, food, technology, trinkets, etc. is a way of feeling powerful again. It's a way of feeling in control. It's a dangerous counseling tool (retail therapy, anyone?) that we sometimes use as an excuse for remedying a bad day. The latter has been my issue before.

With a demanding job, several moves, personal life changes, and emotionally-paralyzing tragedies in the last few years, I simply couldn't find the energy to invest in anything that made me feel better. I would work out, but not stick to it. I started writing again, but it was all depressing and self-deprecating. I attempted to lose myself in the worlds of fiction, but found it overwhelming to read at work (as a teacher), read my students' assignments, read books for class, and then read recreationally.

 
So I shopped.

At H&M September 2012 (bought the dress: $20)
 
And usually I felt better. Coming from a family of fashionistas, I always strived to look nice. I enjoyed (and still enjoy) being put together and trying out new looks. I got a fashion design kit from my Aunt Kim in sixth grade and haven't been the same since. My mom went to FIDM (Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising) and always looked like a perfectly coiffed woman suitable for the cover of Elle or InStyle (my personal favorites as a teen and a now near-thirty-something). Looking good wasn't a priority. It was a passion. I can't draw or sculpt or sew or paint, but I love art. And this was the only way I knew how to make any that I was proud of. Color combinations. Mixing prints. Multiple textures. I love all of it.

December 2012 - Sweater: Target ($15); Pants: H&M ($12.95); Patent Loafers: Express ($6.99 on sale); Black Wool Coat: H&M ($30 on sale - they still have outerwear for $30 and under!)
 


 Dress: Xhilaration by Target (old); Shoes: Enzo Angiolini ($60 on sale at Nordstrom); Earrings: Target ($3.49 on clearance)
 
Hooded Brown Vegan Leather Jacket: TJ Maxx ($24.99); Orange and Brown Leopard/Zebra Scarf: TJ Maxx ($12.99)

Dress: H&M ($20 on sale); White tank: Forever21 ($2.50); Tweed Open Collarless Blazer: H&M ($34.95); Nude Patent Pumps: Target ($29.99) 









But when is it enough? I have Pinterest boards filled with outfit ideas. A photo album of favorite looks. A notebook of potential wardrobe combinations. I even have a list posted of things that still have the tags on them so I can force myself to wear them. But as I near that "something" age I parenthetically referred to earlier, I feel a pull to spend (or save) my money elsewhere. I want a house. I want to travel. I want a laptop that was not provided by the State Board of Education (well, I quite like the one they are letting me use, but a personal one is preferable, yes). I want to not work during the summer so I can concentrate on writing my novel.

And so the Fashion Fast was created. Last year I didn't shop for six months (December 2011 - May 2012) and it was a revealing time. I changed a lot in my life --- moved to a new apartment outside of the city, got a dog (Munki HarleyQuinn Morgendorfer, below), got rid of TV (Netflix, Hulu, and YouTube, baby!), cut some people out of my life, started writing again, and went outdoors more. I got clinically diagnosed with ADHD and my doctor urged me to start a diet, lifestyle, and meditation plan that has worked WONDERS for me.



And, alas, it's that time of year again. Many people make New Years resolutions that are hard to keep. "Lose 50 pounds." "Exercise 3-4 times per week." "Travel to 'insert international destination.'" "Become a rock star." "Stop blaming my parents, ex-boyfriends, and employers for all of my problems. We know it's society's bias against single women that's holding me back anyway! This year I will be a WOMAN: hear me ROAR!" But the Fashion Fast isn't really a resolution. It's more of a goal to restructure where my money goes. Will I still shop? Yes, most likely. But it will be a lot more carefully and with this fact in mind: "The average person spends 4% of their net salary on their wardrobe." If you net $40k a year, that means you're probably spending around $1500-1600 on clothes (though let's be honest, it's probably closer to $2000 when you factor in beauty products and hair care, INCLUDING trips to the salon!).

Cut that in half to $750. What would you do with an extra $750? You'd at least be able to afford that international flight. You could invest in a dream you've always had. And maybe you won't be a rock star, but you could pretend on your new Xbox360 Rock Band game.


Let's not have the "revelation" of one of pop culture's favorite spenders: Carrie Bradshaw.

 
 
I'll update regularly with outfits, money spent on clothes/shoes/accessories/beauty/hair, and trends in the new year. Let's just hope I'm also telling you all how much I love not working this upcoming summer as well :)
 
 
DISCLAIMER: I do NOT net $40,000 a year :-) I'm a 3rd year public school teacher. 'Nuff said. 




No comments:

Post a Comment