Sunday, October 14, 2012

Smart: Battle Gear

It has been MUCH too long since I've written. The tidal wave of teaching knocked me down deep, leaving me drowning in an ocean of real-world responsibility. I have finally surfaced for air, only to find that I now have a mountain to climb off the shore of that ocean, and I haven't even reached base camp 1.

So, as I prepare to ascend this most recent butte of challenges, I feel like I need some sort of armor to protect me from all of the land mines I could potentially step across. Good thing the military trend is one of the top looks for the fall.

When I saw Burberry's fall/winter collection I almost traded in my new varsity motorcycle jacket for the British brand's peplum military-inspired number. And the coordinating cascading asymmetrical ruffle of the denim pencil skirt? You would think it would be too much flounce, too much poof, but it's justtherightamount of femininity on these tougher pieces. I need H&M or Topshop or Zara to do some sort of knockoff of this skirt so that I can pretend that my body curves in the same way the fabric does.


Burberry F/W 2012


Victoria Beckham F/W 2012

As the new week approaches, I can feel the shift of life. It makes me contemplate what I'm prepared for, what I can handle. And I'm reminded of something I heard before that seems fitting: "Sometimes it's so easy to say no." And I think for a lot of people, including myself, it's true. Sometimes it IS easier to say no. Because you think it's going to be hard or that you're not ready for it or that you won't succeed or any of the other excuses you can think of to keep you right where you are: comfortable. Even if where you are is painful at least the pain is familiar. It isn't until we push ourselves out of that comfort zone, venture to something new -- a new job, a new city, a new relationship, a new home, a new hobby -- that we feel a different kind of pain: that of growth.

At least I'll look good while doing it ;)


Altuzarra F/W 2012




Now approaching Base Camp 1. Expect an update in 72 hours :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment